Wednesday 19 November 2014

How to upcycle a stool for a childs room


I was on the hunt for a mini-makeover project recently, and came across a perfectly fine, but a 'little bit boring in my book' black stool in my son's bedroom.

Immediately I knew I wanted to jazz it up a bit, so I set to work and I made this (above) all with my very own actual hands.

It was so easy to do, I highly recommend giving it a go this weekend.

You will need:
  • A stool (or actually could be any small piece of furniture like a bedside table) This stool was £3 from Dunelm Mill
  • Sand paper
  • Comic
  • Scissors
  • Paintbrush
  • PVA glue
How to make it:
  • Prep your item, give it a good clean all over and very lightly 'key' with sandpaper so the glue can stick better
  • Cut up your comic in to lots of individual pieces (not too big pieces). I cut out whole strips of the stories to put in the background and then a few things like logos from the comic to put on the top
  • Apply glue to the stool surface using your paintbrush, doing a section at a time so it doesn't dry out too quickly and then stick down each piece of comic, slightly overlapping all the edges
  • Once all the pieces are stuck down, paint over the top with more glue this will help flatten any edges and blend it all together
  • Finally, stick down the comic logos on the top, I used The Beano. Classic.
  • Generously apply another layer or two of PVA, it will dry completely clear but act as a seal.
  • Alternatively once it's all dry you could add a layer of varnish for extra protection
And ta da! It's done

2 comments:

www.mummyofboygirltwins.com said...

This looks great! Fab idea thanks. Jess xx

love home|life|style said...

Thank you jess, my son loves it x