Monday 17 November 2014

How to upcycle a printer tray


So this happened. 

One morning I woke up and decided I really needed to upcycle a printer tray... as you do.

I don't know about you, but once an idea like this hits me, I need to act on it pretty quick or else I lose interest quicker than you can say 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' and not that I'm one for boasting... but I can say that Pretty. Darn. Quick*.

I jumped on ebay and this little bad boy was bidded on and bought within the hour.

When it arrived, after I let out a few ermahgerd's and other choice expletives, I set to work:
  • Sanding down (lots of)
  • Hoovering up (lots of)
  • Painting white (lots of)
  • Watching paint dry (...ZZzz...)
  • More painting white
  • More watching paint dry (...ZZzz zzzzzzz...)
  • Yet more painting white
  • Sanding down AGAIN for an aged effect
  • More hoovering
  • PAINSTAKINGLY measuring and cutting out tiny squares of black and white stripey gift wrap
  • Gluing 1 million(ish - I can't be sure but it felt like it) pieces of black and white stripey gift wrap to each individual cubby hole back
  • Stand back and admired handy work (followed by 4 days of back ache and numb fingers)





It's true. This was hours and hours of my life I'll never get back, but I was really pleased with the result.

It's a piece for my home that's completely unique to me, and actually trying to fill it with little trinkets is quite fun. It's nowhere near full, but it's getting there.

Here's how it looks now, semi full:



Have you ever tried to upcycle a printer tray? Let me know how you got on :-)


*ps. less than two seconds in case you're wondering!

No comments: